- Never second guess your decision to start your doctoral journey
- All schools, online or traditional, provide a fair opportunity for a self motivated individual to learn. The system was not made with you in mind therefore the system cannot be unfair specifically to you
- The entire journey is nothing more than a process with some very specific requirements. You are not in the game to change the requirements; you are in it to fulfill them willingly or otherwise
- People who have completed their journey have already done what you have not yet achieved. Respect their achievement like you would like others to one day respect yours
- There are no short cuts through the journey. Be patient, consistent, and persevere
- Be ready to learn new ways of thinking and try to appreciate them with patience. A doctoral degree is a degree of endurance
- Expect to grow with the process... emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, and also skill wise. Many students, specially the "good students" find it extremely difficult to let go of their academic behavior from high school and college years that focuses on quickly completing the assignments and maintaining their GPA and approach the doctoral process too mechanically. If the doctoral journey has failed to evolve you as a person, you have missed the essence of the journey somewhere down the path. With all the money, time, and effort invested in the process wouldn't it be wise to walk away with everything the process has to offer?
Hope this helps!
- Dr. K